07 2019 TWG newsletter
TWG - We need you!
At our breakout session at the CSDMS Annual Meeting in May in Boulder, TWG members submitted many great ideas on how we can increase interaction with each other to help us achieve our goals. There was interest in in-person hackathons, model-run-a-thons, manuscript writing groups, code-writing groups, and when-the-idea-strikes communication.
There was interest in webinars on the topics of tips and tricks for clearly written papers about models, sensitivity analysis, the publishing process, community coding, installing models for the "average Joe", incorporating data into models, compiled model documentation, idea-generating webinars, Google Earth Engine, improving diversity, equity, and inclusion, and a wiki for model documentation.
We need you to let us know if there is widespread interest in any of these topics, if you can contribute a presentation, or suggest a speaker!
Give CSDMS Some Credit
Are you doing research or teaching that relies on CSDMS software or infrastructure? Or applying something you have learned from a CSDMS clinic or webinar in your research or teaching? Are you writing a proposal that will use CSDMS products? If you answered yes to any of these questions, don't forget to acknowledge CSDMS! You can include CSDMS in paper acknowledgements, use their logo as acknowledgement during talks, or request a letter of commitment for the next proposal that you write. Help us spread the word that CSDMS is integral to your earth science endeavors!
GSA Short Courses of Interest
If you are heading to GSA in Phoenix this September, why not sign-up for a short course? Don't forget to sign-up soon to make sure these courses fly. More information on all short courses can be found here. Here are some highlights:
- Your Thesis is Software: Tools for the Geoscientist to Help Write Better Code, from Version Control to Test-Driven Development.
- High Resolution Topography and 3D Imaging I: Introduction to Terrestrial Laser Scanning.
- High Resolution Topography and 3D Imaging II: Introduction to Structure from Motion (SfM) Photogrammetry.
- An Introduction to Quantitative Topographic Analysis with the Topographic Analysis Kit (TAK) for TopoToolbox.
- Preparing Undergraduates: Data-Rich Introductory Teaching Modules and Connecting Content to Geoscience Careers.
- Geostatistical Modeling of Geochemical Data
- Inclusive and Effective College Science Classrooms: Engaging Students, Designing Lessons, and Integrating Diversity into Curriculum.
- Making Geoscience Animations and Videos and Assessing Them in the Classroom.
TWG Spotlight Award Nominations
Who will be the next amazing TWG member to follow in the footsteps of Brigid Lynch, our first Spotlight Award winner? Please submit nominations for our next TWG spotlight award at any time but before September 1st, 2019. We want to recognize community members who exemplify both what it means to be doing cutting edge science with data and models and what it means to be a good citizen of the science community through activities such as sharing data and models, education, and all forms of outreach. The nomination form is designed to be quick, and self-nominations are encouraged!