- What is CSDMS?
CSDMS stands for Community Surface Dynamics Modeling System. We are a diverse community of experts promoting the modeling of earth surface processes by developing, supporting, and disseminating integrated software modules that predict the erosion, transport, and deposition of sediment and solutes in landscapes and their sedimentary basins. Read more...
- Is there another effort like CSDMS?
Not quite, but there are many modeling efforts underway across the world, and we try to make connections and collaborate with other efforts when appropriate. CSDMS is willing to work together with the international community to build an integrated modeling community.
- Is CSDMS a Community Clastic Model?
No, it is a modeling community supporting a modeling architecture (not an "uber"-model). It deals with hydrology, nutrients, sediment (incl. carbonates), ecosystems, glaciers, oceanography, weather, etc. -- earth-surface dynamics. The goal of CSDMS protocols is to allow for models and components to be combined in unique ways to answer diverse questions. CSDMS is interested in stand-alone models, components and compliant contributions.
- How do I become a member of one of the Groups?
Simply follow the link and complete the form to join a working group and/or focus research group.
- I changed jobs. How do I inform CSDMS and the chairs of the various groups?
Please let us know if your contact information has been changed. Complete this form and we will update your contact information.
- How often do the Working Groups or Focus Research Groups meet?
Currently, each group hosts an annual meeting. The rest of their activity is done through remote communication systems.
- How do I benefit from becoming a member of CSDMS's Working Groups and or Focus Research Groups?
There are many ways you benefit. Most importantly, you become part of a family of experts who are willing to collaborate. You'll have an advantage in staying current within a community sharing research on the Earth Sciences. You'll also gain better knowledge on available models for education and application, and you'll have opportunities for interaction with a variety of industrial and NGO partners and federal agencies. Read more about this.
- Are there funding opportunities?
There are competitive funding opportunities through various traditional sources. Please note, CSDMS does not directly fund proposals, but association with CSDMS and detailing how your proposal can interact with and advance CSDMS can be helpful to your proposal. Benefits include:
- support by a state-of-the-art research agenda developed by an integrated community;
- support by a community of modelers & software engineers;
- access to a sophisticated modeling architecture, data systems, and high performance computing;
- CSDMS opportunities with NGO’s, agencies, and industry partners.