Apply before: 19 December 2023
19 December 2023
The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organization in Germany, the Helmholtz Association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
We presently have opened a postdoc position in the field of model-based hydrology and hydrogeology, working within a long-term international project with experts from Germany, Sweden, Italy, and Israel. Based on extensive previous analysis, the main task for the next 3 years (extension possible) is the development of a Europe-wide multi-scale regional groundwater model coupled with the catchment scale hydrological model mHM which takes heterogeneous elements into account. The candidate will be hosted in the department CHS (Computational Hydrosystems) within a larger international modeling team. Some stays abroad with our project partners are possible.
- Excellent technical facilities which are without parallel
- The freedom you need to bridge the difficult gap between basic research and close to being ready for application
- Work in inter-disciplinary, multinational teams and excellent links with national and international research networks
- A vibrant region with a high quality of life and a wide cultural offering for a balance between family and professional life
- Interesting career opportunities and an extensive range of training and further education courses
- Ph.D. in a relevant field (e.g., Environmental Earth Sciences, Computational Hydrology, Physics, Mathematics).
- A good quantitative training in the field of stochastics
- Proficiency in relevant groundwater modeling and programming languages (e.g., Fortran, Python, R, or similar).
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with a demonstrated ability to work with large datasets (e.g. with NetCDF files in CDO/NCO programs).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including a track record of publishing research in peer-reviewed journals.
- Collaborative and adaptable, with the ability to work effectively in a team-oriented research environment.
- good control of the English language is required.
Diversity and Inclusion
The UFZ has a strong commitment to diversity and actively supports equal opportunities for all employees regardless of their origin, religion, ideology, disability, age, or sexual identity. We look forward to applications from people who are open-minded and enjoy working in diverse teams.
Please submit your application via our online portal with your cover letter, CV (please omit your photo, age, or marital status) and relevant attachments. See details at: https://recruitingapp-5128.de.umantis.com/Vacancies/2848/Description/2
Dr. Rohini Kumar
Department of Computational HydroSystem (CHS)
Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research GmbH - UFZ
Permoserstraße 15 / 04318 Leipzig / Germany
email@example.com / www.ufz.de/index.php?en=10340
Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: Leipzig
Registergericht/Registration Office: Amtsgericht Leipzig
Handelsregister Nr./Trade Register Nr.: B 4703
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: MinDirig Wilfried Kraus
Wissenschaftlicher Geschäftsführer/Scientific Managing Director: Prof. Dr. Rolf Altenburger