Apply before: 1 March 2023
1 March 2023
I am seeking one PhD student to begin in Summer or Fall 2023 to pursue research on the role of large wood jams in promoting river-floodplain connectivity. The motivation of this research is to improve our understanding of how large wood can be used in river restoration to improve river corridor integrity and resilience. A combination of field work (in Colorado, Montana, and Iowa), 2D hydrodynamic modeling, computer programming, and statistical analyses will be necessary for this research. The PhD student will be supported with funding from a recent NSF award, and the student will be co-advised by Dr. Ellen Wohl.
Required qualifications are:
- MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering or related discipline.
- Clear research interest in river mechanics, floodplain services, and fluvial geomorphology.
- Proficiency in oral and written English communication.
Preferred qualifications for this position are:
- Experience with coding in R, Python, FORTRAN, or another programming language.
- Experience with hydrologic and geomorphic field data collection, including drone imagery
- Experience with FaSTMECH, SRH-2D, HEC-RAS 2D, or similar hydraulic modeling software
- Research experience in water resources science or engineering.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in teams.
- Demonstrated ability to write and publish original research.
- Interest in integrating equity into graduate research.
Preference will be given to students from backgrounds historically excluded from water resources engineering. I will begin reviewing applicants on March 1, 2023.
If interested, contact email@example.com with the following materials as a single PDF attachment and email subject line “Application for Posted PhD Position”:
- A 1–2-page cover letter with your interest in the position and research topics, and how you meet the required and preferred qualifications, and
- A current resume or CV.
You may simultaneously or soon afterwards apply to CSU. Information about applying to the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Colorado State University can be found here: https://www.engr.colostate.edu/ce/graduate-application-information/.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Walter Scott, Jr. College of Engineering
Colorado State University
1372 Campus Delivery; Fort Collins, CO 80523-1372