ESPIn is for 2020 a 6-day immersive online training experience for 25 graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and/or early career faculty. ESPIn is designed to allow participants to make advances on critical earth surface processes research questions by teaching cyberinfrastructure skills. ESPIn will offer virtual hands-on training in numerical modeling, best programming practices, open source software development, collaborative coding and version control, Landlab and pymt, high performance computing, and model uncertainty quantification.
Curriculum - a combination of doing and learning:
- Team projects
- Open Source Modeling and Model Design
- Introduction to the Shell
- Introduction to Version Control with git and GitHub
- The Anaconda Distribution
- Basics of Python Programming
- Existing Models and Toolkits for Modeling Earth Surface Processes
- Python Programming for ESP Scientists
- Mapping and GIS functionality and Python
- Python for Model Developers
- The Basic Model Interface
- High-Performance Computing
- How Good Is My Model?
ESPIn will start with 'big idea' poster presentations of all participants, these will help with forming small teams interested in similar topics. Several days will be dedicated to working in small teams on authentic research, data analysis, and coding projects. Participants can also work on developing and advancing their own research codes. In addition, there will be dedicated time for a local field trip, peer-to-peer networking, and professional development. A mix of experienced scientists, visiting faculty, software engineers, and research computing experts will provide instruction. Get a taste of the more technical skill content being covered by our team by checking out our past and future webinars and lectures. ESPIn will conclude with team presentations on code advances and research outcomes, and set up participants to continue to develop ideas.
Click here to view a draft of the day to day schedule, all times provided are in Mountain Daylight TIme, posted June 10th.
- Irina Overeem
- Mark Piper
- Nicole Gasparini
- Leilani Arthurs
- Benjamin Campforts
- Faculty Guest Instructors (TBD)
Application is now closed.
For questions regarding ESPIn application and general info, contact us at: email@example.com
- February 7: Application opens
- April 10: Application deadline
- May 15: Notification Date
- 12-19th August: Summer Institute