FAIR. Efficient. Science-driven. User-engaged.
Understanding the past, present, and future of Earth’s surface requires open science and open software. To meet that need, in October 2021 the Community Surface Dynamics Modeling System (CSDMS) launched a voyage to enhance and expand the flagship CSDMS Workbench: a powerful set of software tools and protocols for analyzing and modeling the Earth’s changing surface.
The NSF-supported OpenEarthscape project will raise the proportion and quality of community-built software that adheres to the FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable). OpenEarthscape will include:
- EarthscapeHub: a community JupyterHub server that provides easy access to CSDMS tools and libraries
- New capacity for creating and sharing reproducible model-data analysis packages
- Major enhancements to the Landlab and PyMT libraries for model construction and coupling
- An extended version of the Basic Model Interface standard to address parallel architecture and coupling
- Improved library capabilities for data I/O and visualization
Stay tuned to the CSDMS web portal for the latest developments in OpenEarthscape!