CSDMS currently has five Working Groups, which includes three environmental (or discipline) working groups, two integrative working groups, seven focus research groups and two initiatives. CSDMS has as of today 1607 members, and as of July, 2017, membership came from 140 U.S. universities, 34 U.S. Federal Labs and government organizations, 32 U.S. corporations, 360 foreign research institutions (244 academic, 34 private, 82 government) from more than 59 different countries, (see also member distribution per country). See this map to find out where all CSDMS members are located. Working groups typically meet once per year, coordinating much of their activity via remote communication systems. Chairs of the Working Groups form the Executive Committee of CSDMS.
Learn more about the charge of the working groups (PDF file).
- Terrestrial Working Group (Chair, Nicole Gasparini), 764 members, weathering, hillslope, fluvial, glacial, aeolian, lacustrial
- Coastal Working Group (Co-Chairs, Andrew Ashton and Eli Lazarus), 597 members, delta, estuary, bays and lagoons, nearshore
- Marine Working Group (Chair, Courtney Harris), 378 members, shelf, carbonate, slope, deep marine
- Education and Knowledge Transfer (EKT) Working Group (Chair, Wei Luo), 243 members, targeting researchers with model & visualization tools; planners with decision-making tools; and educators with pre-packaged models to help illustrate surface processes, tools to build intuition.
- Cyberinformatics and Numerics Working Group (Co-Chairs, Tian-Jian (Tom) Hsu and Scott Peckham), 225 members includes technical computational aspects of the CSDMS, ensures that the modeling system properly functions and is accessible to users; software protocols are maintained, along with model standardization and visualization; works with our cyberinformatic partners.
Focus Research Groups
CSDMS currently has seven Focus Research Groups or FRGs. FRGs differ from Working Groups in that they serve a unique subset of our surface dynamics community, and usually represent a well-developed community. FRGs are often co-sponsored by another organization. FRGs are similarly supported by the CSDMS Integration Facility as Working Groups, including access to CSDMS High Performance Computers. FRG's typically meet once per year, coordinating much of their activity via remote communication systems. Chairs of FRGs report directly to the CSDMS Executive Director, and often to the Chair or Director of the co-sponsoring organization.
- Hydrology Focus Research Group, 599 members, represents the hydrological modeling community, and is being co-sponsored by CUAHSI. This FRG deals with aspects of the hydrological system that impact earth-surface dynamics. (Co-Chairs, Venkat Lakshmi and Mary Hill)
- Carbonates and Biogenics Focus Research Group, 109 members, is the outgrowth of the recent NSF effort to coordinate the Carbonates and Biogenics modeling community and their development of a numerical Carbonates and Biogenics workbench (Co-Chairs, Peter Burgess and Chris Jenkins)
- Chesapeake Focus Research Group, 79 members, is our first 'geographically-focused' effort representing and co-sponsored by the Chesapeake Community Modeling Program, with their unique collection of models and field data set (Chair, Raleigh Hood)
- Geodynamics Focus Research Group, 157 members. represents the geodynamic modeling community, and is being co-sponsored by GeoPRISMS. This FRG deals with aspects of the geodynamic system that impact earth-surface. (Co-Chairs, Phaedra Upton and Mark Behn)
- Critical Zone Focus Research Group, 98 members, is originated to develop compatibility between CSDMS architecture & protocols and developed models & data produced by the co-sponsors Critical Zone Observatory and International Soil Modeling Consortium (Co-Chairs, Lejo Flores and Michael Young)
- Human Dimensions Focus Research Group, 105 members. Represents the Human Dimensions community and is co-sponsored by the AIMS and CoMSES NET.(Co-Chairs, Moira Zellner and Mark Rounsevell)
- Ecosystem Dynamics Focus Research Group, 92 members. Represents the Ecosystem Dynamics community and is co-sponsored by the International Society for Ecological Modeling. (Co-Chairs, Brian Fath and Kim de Mutsert)
CSDMS hosts two initiatives to advance earth-surface process modeling across disciplines. The Initiatives will connect researchers, and supports focused research on pressing scientific questions proposed by our research community and involve partnerships with scientists in the fields of ecology, global sustainability, coastal vulnerability and continental margin dynamics.
- Coastal Vulnerability, 116 members, represents the Coastal Vulnerability modeling community. This initiative deals with aspects of coastal vulnerability with emphasis on deltas and their multiple threats and stresses. (Co-Chairs, Andrew Ashton and Eli Lazarus)
- Continental Margin Initiative, 61 members,represents the Continental Margin modeling community. The goal of this initiative is to model extreme oceanic and atmospheric events on generating turbidity currents in the Gulf of Mexico. (Chair, Courtney Harris)
The links below will guide you to the different group web sites. Each community has its own web site set up, such to pursue their goals the best.
|Chair||Working Groups (WG) / Focus Research Groups (FRG)||Members|
|Nicole Gasparini||Terrestrial WG||764 Members|
|Andrew Ashton and Eli Lazarus||Coastal WG||597 Members|
|Courtney Harris||Marine WG||378 Members|
|Wei Luo||Education and Knowledge Transfer (EKT) WG||243 Members|
|Tian-Jian (Tom) Hsu and Scott Peckham||Cyberinformatics and Numerics WG||225 Members|
|Venkat Lakshmi||Hydrology FRG||599 Members|
|Peter Burgess and Chris Jenkins||Carbonates and Biogenics FRG||109 Members|
|Raleigh Hood||Chesapeake FRG||79 Members|
|Phaedra Upton and Mark Behn||Geodynamics FRG||157 Members|
|Lejo Flores and Michael Young||Critical Zone FRG||98 Members|
|Moira Zellner and Mark Rounsevell||Human Dimensions FRG||105 Members|
|Brian Fath and Kim de Mutsert||Ecosystem Dynamics FRG||92 Members|
|Brad Murray||Coastal Vulnerability Initiative||116 Members|
|Courtney Harris||Continental Margin Initiative||61 Members|
|All members of CSDMS|